First up, apologies to those who came here today looking for a sugar rush and got a salad, but I’d like to welcome you to a brand new monthly column called Simple Dinners! As much as I love cooking, often the last thing I want to do when I get home from work is cook something elaborate and time consuming - I know you're with me there! We all need to eat dinner as well as dessert after all, so in this column I will be experimenting with quick, easy and seasonal lunch and dinner recipes.
This season’s peaches have been fabulous, and this is a great way to show them off! I first made this salad a couple of months ago, and have made it several times since because I loved it so much. All of the elements complement each other - the sweet peach, salty prosciutto, peppery rocket and creamy bocconcini come together beautifully. Add a good glug of quality balsamic vinegar and some cracked black pepper to finish.
This salad makes a beautiful summery light meal or side dish, perfect for a hot day as it doesn't involve any cooking, just some assembling. It's gluten and grain free, low carb, and can easily become a more substantial meal by adding in some more protein such as cooked chicken, pork or fish.
And to keep it interesting, here are a few ways to mix it up!
- Replace the peaches with nectarines, fresh figs or ripe pears
- Grill the peaches on a BBQ or char-grill pan for a few minutes on each side
- Replace the prosciutto with pancetta or bacon
- Swap out the Bocconcini for other cheeses such as crumbled feta or goats cheese
- If you don't like rocket, try baby spinach or other mixed lettuce leaves
- Top with some shaved parmesan
- Turn into a main meal by adding some cooked chicken, pork or fish