I'm just going to come right out and say it... I could eat this salad every day.
I'd (almost) turn vegetarian if I could eat this salad every day! I realise that's a pretty big call to make - especially given how I feel about ribs - but it contains some of my favourite things; eggplant, zucchini and feta cheese.
It's colourful, healthy, pretty quick and easy enough to prepare for a midweek meal, and works well as either a vegetarian main course or as a side dish to any almost kind of grilled meat. It tastes great warm or at room temperature so it would be great to take to a picnic. The leftovers make a great lunch the next day. You'll make your colleagues jealous, I promise.
The recipe was the cover star of Jamie Oliver magazine (which I love!) a few months ago. I saw it while walking around Santa Monica, the image just got me and just had to buy it for this recipe alone! Jamie always comes up with the best salad recipes. My favourite part is the grilled feta that gets crispy on the outside and creamy in the middle, but the caramelised pistachios also give it a really great textural contrast.
Here are a few ways you can mix it up, if you're going to eat it every day like me!
- Use your favourite combination of vegetables like grilled mushrooms, capsicum, asparagus, pumpkin, corn etc
- Swap out the cous cous with cooked quinoa for a different texture and extra boost of protein. Especially good if you're a vegetarian!
- For a more substantial dinner, toss in some grilled sliced steak, lamb, chicken or fish
- Try some different herbs in the tabbouleh. I think coriander would be a nice addition too!
- Serve with grilled pita bread or flatbread
- Swap the grilled feta for a slab of grilled haloumi