Friday, September 10, 2010
Nutty Frangelico Chocolate Brownies
This post is sponsored by Nuffnang and Cadbury
For as long as I can remember, I have always had a sweet tooth. As a kid, I loved helping my Nanna make cakes for special occasions because I would get the coveted task of licking spoons clean, and dessert has always been my favourite part of the meal. It’s easy to see that my love affair with chocolate started at an early age, and over time I’ve learned that chocolate has inherent powers. As an apology or romantic gesture, I’ll take chocolates over flowers any day, and there’s no better way to woo that special someone than with a homemade gooey chocolate fondant, baked especially for them.
Cadbury knows this well, and has married winning combinations of delicious ingredients with their signature smooth Dairy Milk chocolate to create the new Bar of Plenty chocolate range. It’s available in two different flavours: berry fruit with vanilla shortcake, and roasted hazelnuts and cashews gently flavoured with honey (my personal favourite). Bar of Plenty is now available from your local Coles, Woolworths, IGA and other selected outlets.
I wanted to use the Roast Hazelnut & Cashew in a decadent recipe, and what better than a fudgy chocolate brownie. I used my favourite brownie recipe, with the roughly chopped Bar of Plenty chocolate, and a good hit of Frangelico liqueur to complement the hazelnuts. The result was seriously good. A crispy, crackly top gave way to a rich, just cooked center, generously studded with the milk chocolate, brownies and cashews. What I like most about brownies is that they are delicious completely unadorned, but if you want a show-stopping dessert, serve with a scoop of ice cream, lashings of chocolate sauce and a glass of nice port.
I’m also thrilled to offer my readers a fabulous prize as part of this promotion! You could win Cadbury chocolate to the value of $50, perfect for sharing with your favourite chocaholic, or not sharing with anyone! All you need to do is leave a comment on this post and tell me Why are you in love with chocolate? Entries close on September 20th, and you can enter once per day. Winners will be notified here on my blog so make sure you check back to see if you’ve won this great prize. Make sure you read the Terms & Conditions at the bottom of this post before you enter.
Nutty Chocolate and Frangelico Brownies
Makes 10-12 pieces
• 200g butter
• 125g dark chocolate, chopped
• 2 cups sugar
• 4 eggs
• 1 cup plain flour
• 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
• ¼ teaspoon baking powder
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons Frangelico liqueur
• ½ cup Cadbury Bar of Plenty Roast Hazelnut & Honey Roast cashew chocolate, roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Line the base and sides of a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
Place the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat and stir until smooth. Place sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, cocoa, chocolate mixture, vanilla, Frangelico and Cadbury chocolate in a bowl and mix to combine.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until just set. Cool before cutting into squares.
Terms & Conditions
Nuffnang competition - "Why are you in love with chocolate?"
1. Information on how to enter form part of these conditions. Entry into the competition constitutes acceptance of these terms and conditions.
2. The name of the person conducting it (the promoters name, address and telephone number)
The competition will be conducted by Nuffnang Australia. Nuffnang Australia’s head office is located at 28 St Edmonds Road, Prahran VIC 3181. Please contact Nuffnang Australia via (03) 8517 2000 or email@example.com
3. Eligibility requirements (including minimum age of participants)
Entrants must live in QLD, WA, ACT, NSW, TAS or VIC to be eligible. The winner will need provide Nuffnang with their contact details in order to be eligible. Participants must be aged 14 and over.
4. How to enter
To enter the competition:
* Participants need to leave a comment on the competition post published on one of the twenty blogs participating in the competition. These blogs are:
* The comment must answer the question "Why are you in love with chocolate?” The most creative and practical answer will be chosen as the winner.
5. Description and retail value of each of the prizes (including conditions, if any, relating to receiving, accepting or using the prizes)
The prize will be products worth up to $50.
6. Closing and drawing dates and time for the receipt of entries in the lottery
The competition closes on 5pm EST on 20 September 2010.
7. The place, date and time of the lottery draw
On Tuesday 21 September 2010, the blogger will choose their own winner and inform Nuffnang Australia.
8. The method used to decide prize winners
The winner will be the entry judged most creative and practical by the judges.
9. How prize winners will be notified (face-to-face, email, phone or mail)
The winner will be notified via the blog they used to enter the competition, and will be asked to provide their email and contact phone number at that time. If they do not respond to the comment within 48 hours, Nuffnang reserve the rights to select another winner.
10. How prizes will be awarded
Once the winner has been notified, Nuffnang Australia will liaise with the winner to have the prize pack sent to them.
11. The method for claiming prizes (including requirement for entrants to be present at
To claim the prize, the winner must reply to the winner notification and accept the prize within 48 hours of the blog notification, as well as indicate their preferred address for the product to be sent. If the winner does not respond within 48 hours, they will forfeit the prize, and another winner will be selected using the same judging process.
12. Whether results will be published and, if so, the way they will be published
The results will be published on the respective bloggers’ blogs and Twitter (if applicable). Nuffnang Australia also reserve the right to publish the results, including a photo of the winner, in the media.
13. Whether the prize will jackpot or be redrawn if the winning player is not present or does not claim/cannot be found (must keep for 3 months if unclaimed)
Nuffnang Australia will make all reasonable efforts to contact the prize winner. If the prize winner is uncontactable or does not respond to accept the prize within 48 hours of notification, another winner will be selected using the same judging process.
14. Who cannot participate
Nuffnang Australia’s business directors, management and employees, their immediate families, their retailers, suppliers, associated comapnies and agencies are ineligible.
15. Changes to Terms and Conditions
Nuffnang Australia reserves the right to change these terms and conditions. If any changes are made Nuffnang Australia will notify the public via its website.